Hi everyone —
Sorry it’s been so long since my last post. Unfortunately it has been a hectic — and frankly extremely sad — few weeks here at In Brief Legal Writing Services. As many of you already know, our mascot, Eli “The Cat” Bogdanovic, passed away a week ago at age 13.
He was fine when I got back from London — or at least he seemed fine. But during the first week of June we noticed he no longer wanted any kibble, which was highly unusual. Gradually he lost interest in his food altogether, but was still drinking. After a harrowing weekend, I took him to the veterinarian on Monday, June 10.
To make a long story short, his initial assessment showed evidence of significant dental issues and alarmingly elevated kidney values. He was hospitalized for four days and I visited him twice during that time. We brought him home on Friday, June 14 and he seemed to be doing well. But the next morning, he made it clear that he no longer wanted any medical intervention, even here at home.
So we made the incredibly difficult decision to let him leave us on his terms here at home, with us, where he knew he was loved. And that’s exactly what he did.
Life won’t be the same without him.
He was more than a mascot for my business. He was my best friend. He never let met down. He was a great listener. In fact, he was my officially unofficial “therapy cat.” He was a great teacher. I learned so much from him. I learned:
- Don’t give up on people, no matter how many times you’ve been betrayed or how badly they let you down.
- Once you do find someone you can trust completely, you’ll realize everything else was worth it.
- A true friend will always stand up for you no matter what.
- Live life on your own terms.
- When all else fails, turn on the charm.
- Sometimes, silence speaks volumes.
- Loyalty is one of the most precious commodities on earth.
- Those that you love most fiercely are the ones who need it most.
- If you get a second chance at anything, make the most of it.
- Life is wonderful, but it is incredibly unpredictable and incredibly short, so make the most of every day.
Alexandra Bogdanovic is a paralegal and the owner/founder of In Brief Legal Writing Services. She is also an award-winning author and journalist whose interests include animal welfare and animal law. All opinions expressed in this forum are her own. Any information pertaining to legal matters is intended solely for general audiences and should not be regarded as legal advice.