Yes, it’s that time of the year – again.
As a reporter I wrote more than my share of holiday stories. And believe it or not, a lot of them were about looking out for your pet.
I wrote those stories because I thought it was important – and because I happen to love animals. After all, I’ve had cats since I was a little kid so I know how stressful and scary it can be when you’ve got to rush Rex or Mittens to the vet.
Having said that, there are a whole host of things that we take for granted at this time of year that can be hazardous or even lethal to companion animals.
Everyone knows that chocolate – or more specifically, the ingredients therein – can cause serious illness in dogs and cats. But there are other things that can make Fido or Cleo sick. Holiday decorations, plants, “people food” and even pet treats can be harmful.
The good news is that preventing unwanted emergencies is a matter of exercising a little common sense and a lot of restraint. Keep decorations and house plants out of reach. When it comes to treats of any type, keep in mind that we shouldn’t overindulge — and neither should our pets.